The Mallacoota Wilderness Business & Tourist Association (formerly MADBATA) is an incorporated, not for profit, association of primarily, but not exclusively business people who have joined together in order to foster and improve the economy within the area of Mallacoota and Far East Gippsland to the benefit of the members and the community as a whole.
Established in the 1960s as a Chamber of Commerce, it has existed in various forms over many years and, as such, it is recognised as the prime representative body of business operators in Far East Gippsland by all levels of Government and associated agencies.
We have has been instrumental in numerable progressive projects that has enhanced the area as a tourist destination and assisted business with subsequent flow on benefits to its members.
Some recently completed projects are:
- The new safe, adequate ocean access facility at Bastion Point;
- The establishment of a new Shire tourist information centre in Maurice Avenue;
- The construction of a scenic cliff top walk from the Betka River to Shelley Beach;
- The Lakeside Shared Pathway and Boardwalk;
- The major upgrading of the Mallacoota airport;
- Pictorial signage at the entrance to the town;
- Production and printing of the popular Pad Map information publication;
- The Kitchen to Compost (K2C) project;
- The Shop Locally project;
- Upgrading of the extensive Foreshore Caravan Park; and
- The establishment of the Mallacoota Bendigo Community Bank
- Coordinating Community responses to
Mallacoota response to Draft Budget 2018-2019 and
Mallacoota response to draft works 2017-2021
The Association is involved in a number of Projects listed as follows:
- The management, maintenance and continued development of Mallacoota’s Business & Tourism website (www.visitmallacoota.com);
- The resolution of the free camping issue;
- The provision of additional industrial land;
- Group advertising and promotions;
- The development of events programs; and
- The "Mallacoota, Now & the Future" Economic Development Project
The Association conducts regular general meetings throughout the year and the AGM is held annually in November. The Executive is appointed at the AGM and the annual membership fee is determined.
Members are encouraged to bring forward their suggestions and concerns to be discussed and acted upon where necessary.
The Association maintains an extensive log of business related data that is made available to its members on a regular basis.
The current Committee as at 2019/20 consists of:
- John Hilvert (President);
- Linda Bruce (Secretary); and
- Leonie Steel (Committee member)
The organisation is reliant on the participation of businesses within Mallacoota and District. Enquiries from prospective new members are welcome at anytime throughout the year.
Further information and membership application are available on request.